According to McCain campaign's file on Romney, he seems to be a liberal's ideal candidate at least on social issues. I am sure he has changed his views now that he is running for President :-)
Here is where Mitt stood on social issues according to the document
- Romney says he changed his mind on abortion meeting with Harvard stem cell researcher – Romney claimsthe doctor said scientists “kill” embryos after 14 days, but doctor later said Romney “mischaracterized myposition.”
- Months after his “conversion,” Romney stated his commitment to upholding Massachusetts’ abortion laws andappointed pro-choice judge to state district court.
- In October 2005, Romney signed bill expanding family planning services, including abortion counseling andmorning-after pill.
- In December 2005, Romney “abruptly ordered his administration to reverse course … and require Catholichospitals to provide emergency contraception medication to rape victims.”
- Romney health insurance plan expanded access to abortion, required Planned Parenthood representative onstate panel.
- Romney endorsed legalization of abortion pill RU-486 access during his 1994 Senate race and backedfederal funding of abortion, saying “I think it’s important that people see me not as a pro-life candidate.”
- In 1994 and 2002, Romney confirmed his support for Roe v. Wade decision and forcefully positioned himselfas pro-choice in 1994 Senate race, saying “you will not see me wavering on that.”
- Romney has refused to comment on bill pending in South Carolina legislature requiring that abortion doctorsoffer pregnant women option of viewing ultrasound.
- Romney endorsed Rep. Barney Frank’s Employment Nondiscrimination Act in 1994.
- In 1994, Romney called “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy first step toward having gays and lesbians “able to serveopenly and honestly in our nation’s military” and said he would provide “more effective leadership” on gayrights issues than Ted Kennedy.
- In 2003, The Washington Times reported Romney “would support a Vermont-style civil union law inMassachusetts.”
- As governor, Romney said health coverage benefits and hospital visitation rights should be provided to gaycouples.
- Romney promised to make gay partnership benefits a “hallmark of my leadership as governor” and has saidhe would attend gay weddings if invited.
- Romney publicly opposed Boy Scouts’ ban on homosexuals in 1994 and 2002 campaigns.
- In 2002, Romney backed hate crimes legislation that included sexual orientation provisions.
- In 2007, Romney praised gay parent who confronted him over gay marriage issue, but in 2005 remarked toSouth Carolina audience that some gay couples “are actually having children” and called it “wrong.”
- In 1994 Senate race, Romney backed Brady bill and assault weapons ban, saying “I don’t line up with theNRA” and “that’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA.”
- Romney called Clinton crime bill “a big step forward.”
- As governor, Romney quadrupled gun licensing fees and vowed not to “chip away” at tough gun laws
- In 2004, Romney signed permanent state-level ban on assault weapons that was mirrored after federalassault weapons ban.
- In January 2006, Romney said he owned a gun – then two days later admitted he did not and the gunbelonged to his son.
- Romney bragged about being member of the NRA but later revealed he didn’t join until August 2006, justbefore launching his presidential campaign.
- Romney recently said he’s “been a hunter pretty much all my life” but later admitted he hunted only twice inhis life, later clarifying remarks by claiming he has hunted “small varmints … more than two times.”
- In 2006 press conference, Romney claimed he had been hunting “many times” after returning from quail huntin Georgia.